<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 29, 2004

Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone - JK Rowling
 

I don't think that there is much I could say about this book that has not already been said many, many times.

I have read the first four before, but picked this one up again and finished it off in an afternoon. I am always interested to see how successful children's and young adult authors manage to tell their story imaginatively, and descriptively and yet retain simplicity.

The series doesn't blow me away. It is adequately written, and fun in parts, but it doesn't really have enough to keep me interested. It could be brain candy, but I am older now and much prefer fight scenes and sex in my candy.

I am, however, fully aware that these are children's books, and the fact that I am not head over heels about them is completely understandable. But I miss the magic I felt when I was younger and reading books like these. Fantastic Mr Fox, and Matilda were amazing.

I don't think that JK Rowling is able to compete with Roald Dahl, and hope that children who are interested in reading Harry Potter are pointed his way; and to Paul Jennings, and John Marsden and the myriad of authors that are writing good fiction for younger people.

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon though.
Perma link posted by Justin @ 1:17 pm

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?