<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 30, 2004

48 Shades of Brown - Nick Earls
 

This was an ex-library book that my Mum brought and is actually inscribed by the author. 'Stay less anxious than this guy.' - it refers to the main character, a 16 year old boy whose parents are spending the year in Geneva, leaving him to live in Brisbane with his older cousin and her flatmate. From my perspective this guy wasn't that anxious. Well, for the most part he was less anxious than me. His thoughts were not always logical, but what 16 year old boy would remain logical when thrown into a university share house.

Nick Earls is one of Brisbane's most well known authors (I have previously read a collection of his short stories). His face is on a series of council ads and one of his novels has been adapted for stage and is quite successful here. ( Zigzag Street if you are interested)
He writes in a very casual tone, telling stories about everyday people with everyday problems. The stories are usually set in Brisbane, which is an interesting experience. I think that in Australia we get so used to reading stories that are set in the US and Europe that it becomes weird to read about places that you know. I have been to the pubs he talks about; sat near the lake that is the centre of an important scene; and could recognize all the landmarks mentioned on his trip from the airport. In one way this was good, I could easily identify with the imagery and flesh it out, but on the downside it removes any real chance for escapism. I have no real interest in reading about the guy who lives next door to me.

When I read, I want to be reading about people who are different from me; live in exotic locations; lead interesting lives. This book was about a nervous sixteen year old going through high school in Brisbane while living with an older female cousin and another female flat mate. It was light-hearted, even funny in places, but the uninteresting navel-gazing was not that stimulating. It is intensely introspective, it made me feel shallow, as if I should be thinking deeper, more original thoughts, complete with snappy metaphors and vivid imagery.

Quotable Quotes –

In reference to a bed squeaking during sex in the next room (a scenario I am sure that most people who have lived in shared accommodation are familiar with) – “If lungs were made of chicken wire, this is the noise that asthma would make.”

A light read, and not a total waste of time, just not up my alley.
Perma link posted by Justin @ 11:56 am

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?